Study of Single Dose of Antibiotic Prophylaxis in Clean Surgeries at a Tertiary Care Centre
Background: Pre-operative single dose antibiotic prophylaxis has shown to reduce the incidence of surgical site infections and thereby patient morbidity. Aims: To evaluate effectiveness of single dose antibiotic prophylaxis in clean surgeries at a tertiary care hospital. Material and Methods: A total of 72 patients undergoing clean surgeries were included after they satisfied the inclusion and exclusion criteria. Results: Single dose of an intravenous prophylaxis of ceftriaxone in clean surgeries excisional biopsy of lipoma, dermoid cyst, sebaceous cyst, enucleation of fibroadenoma, herniotomy, eversion of hydrocele etc. was efficacious in preventing surgical site infection. Surgical site infection was associated with patient’s age, lower haemoglobin levels and longer hospital stay in 3 out of 72 patients. Conclusion: In the present study it was observed that prophylactic single shot of antibiotic is efficacious in averting surgical site infection and is economical for patients undergoing clean surgeries. Factors associated with surgical site infection were patient’s age, haemoglobin and associated co-morbidity like diabetes.
- Hunt K Thomas. Surgical wound infections: An overview. The American Journal of Medicine. 1981 March; 70:712718. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(81)90602-1. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(81)90602-1
- Bailly P, Lallemand S, Thouverez M, Talon D. Mutlicentre study on the appropriateness of surgical antibiotic prophylaxis. Journal of Hospital Infection. 2001; 49:135-138. https://doi.org/10.1053/jhin.2001.1064. PMid:11567560. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1053/jhin.2001.1064
- Sanchez-Manuel FJ, Seco-Gil JL. Antibiotic prophylaxis for hernia repair. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003769.pub2. PMid:15495064. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003769.pub2
- Arvind Diwaker, Ashirvad Datey, Dewesh Verma. A comparative study of Single dose versus multiple doses of antibiotic prophylaxis in open inguinal hernioplasty. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS). May 2018; 17(5):28-32.
- Borse H, Shelke R. Study of various organisms associated with surgical site infection and their sensitivity pattern. MVP Journal of Medical Science. 2015 Dec 1; 2(2):118-123. https://doi.org/10.18311/mvpjms/2015/v2/i2/785. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18311/mvpjms/2015/v2/i2/785
- Suggested Recommendations and Guidelines for Surgical Prophylaxis. Available at http://www.intmed.mcw.edu/drug/surgproph.html.
- Surahio AR, Khan AA, Farooq MU, Fatima I. Single versus 3-dose antibiotic prophylaxis in clean and clean contaminated operations. Journal of Ayub Medical College Abbottabad. 2010 Dec 1; 22(4):91-94.
- Dutt CK, Shukla A, Dutt RD. Single dose antibiotic prophylaxis in planned surgical procedures in Gwalior. Int J Med Res Rev. 2015; 3(8):877-883. https://doi.org/10.17511/ijmrr.2015.i8.165. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17511/ijmrr.2015.i8.165
- Bendre M, Kshirsagar V, Male P, Rathod S, Khandalkar S. Role of single dose antibiotic prophylaxis in clean general surgery. JMSCR. 2016; 4(6):56-61. https://doi.org/10.18535/jmscr/v4i6.56. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18535/jmscr/v4i6.56
- Borade SV, Syed O. Single dose antibiotic prophylaxis for prevention of surgical site infection in elective surgery. Int Surg J. 2018; 5:27-33. https://doi.org/10.18203/2349-2902.isj20175494. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18203/2349-2902.isj20175494
- Madhu BS, Kumar SHB, Reddy NKM, Reddy AV, Kalabhairav S. Effect of single dose pre-operative antibiotic prophylaxis versus conventional antibiotic therapy in patients undergoing lichtenstein tension free mesh repair. Int Surg J. 2017; 4:738-742. https://doi.org/10.18203/2349-2902.isj20170224. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18203/2349-2902.isj20170224