Comparison Between Functional Outcomes of Bone Patellar Tendon Bone Autografts versus Semitendinosus Autografts for Reconstruction of Anterior Cruciate Ligament
Purpose: Our study of comparison of functional outcomes and complications of bone patellar tendon bone autograft and semitendinosus autograft for Anterior Cruciate Ligament reconstruction. Material and Methods: 60 patients were operated for ACL reconstruction in a tertiary health care setup, out of them 30 were operated with semitendinosus graft and 30 were operated with bone-patellar tendon-bone graft and were reviewed at 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and 12 months. After the procedure, the patients were assessed for the functional outcome using Tegner-lysholm knee scoring scale and also with International Knee Documentation Committee (IKDC) Scoresat. Results: Mean lysholm score was comparable between STA and BPTB groups at baseline (41.50 vs 41.77; p-0.81). The mean scores significantly improved in both group at each follow up and was recorded as 93.43 and 90.6 by the end of one year in STA and BPTB group respectively. The improvement was slightly better in STA group at each follow up. Conclusion: Arthroscopic/open anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction by either semitendinosus autograft or bone patellar tendon graft gives satisfactory results in short term follow up in terms of knee functions. However, Rehabilitation with bone patellar tendon bone autografts group was accelerated in balance proprioception and running as compared to semitendinosus autografts also creep of graft is mostly seen in semitendinosus autografts which is less likely to be seen in bone patellar tendon bone autografts.
- Gordon MD, Steiner ME. Anterior cruciate ligament injuries. In: Orthopaedic Knowledge Update Sports Medicine III, Garrick JG. (Ed), American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Rosemont; 2004. p.169.
- Shelbourne KD, Gray T. Minimum 10-year results after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: How the loss of normal knee motion compounds other factors related to the development of osteoarthritis after surgery. Am J Sports Med., 2009; 37:471-480. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546508326709. PMid:19059893. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546508326709
- MARS Group, Wright RW, Huston LJ, Spindler KP, Dunn WR, Haas AK, et al. Descriptive epidemiology of the Multicenter ACL Revision Study (MARS) cohort. Am J Sports Med., 2010; 38:1979-1986. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546510378645. PMid:20889962 PMCid: PMC3655411. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546510378645
- Liden M, Ejerhed L, Sernert N, Laxdal G, Kartus J. Patellar tendon or semitendinosus tendon autografts for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. The American Journal of Sports Medicine, 2007 May; 35(5):740-748. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546506298275. PMid:17293471. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546506298275
- Freedman KB, D’Amato MJ, Nedeff DD, Kaz A, Bach BR Jr. Arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A metaanalysis comparing patellar tendon and hamstring tendon autografts. Am J Sports Med., 2003; 31:2-11. https://doi.org/10.1177/03635465030310011501. PMid:12531750. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/03635465030310011501
- Yunes, M., Richmond, JC , Engels, EA , Pinczewski, LA. Patellar versus hamstring tendons in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A meta-analysis. Arthroscopy, 2001; 17:248-257. https://doi.org/10.1053/jars.2001.21242. PMid:11239344. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1053/jars.2001.21242
- Goldblatt JP, Fitzsimmons SE, Balk E, Richmond, JC. Reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament: Metaanalysis of patellar tendon versus hamstring tendon autograft. Arthroscopy, 2005; 21:791-803. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arthro.2005.04.107. PMid:16012491. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arthro.2005.04.107
- Beynnon BD, Johnson RJ, Abate JA, Fleming BC, Nichols CE. Treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injuries, part I. Am J Sports Med., 2005; 33:1579-1602. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546505279913. PMid:16199611. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546505279913
- Cerulli G, Placella G, Sebastiani E, Tei MM, Speziali A, Manfreda F. ACL reconstruction: choosing the graft. Joints, 2013 Mar; 1(1):18.
- Sherman OH, Banffy MB. Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: which graft is best? Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, 2004 Nov 1; 20(9):974980. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-8063(04)00842-4. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-8063(04)00842-4
- Discussion - Mei Y, Ao YF, Wang JQ, Ma Y, Zhang X, Wang JN, Zhu JX. Clinical characteristics of 4355 patients with anterior cruciate ligament injury. Chinese Medical Journal, 2013 Dec; 126(23):4487-4492.
- Deo S, Rallapalli R, Biswas SK, Salgia AK. A comparison of hamstring autograft versus bone patella tendon bone autograft for reconstruction of anterior cruciate ligament: A prospective study of 30 cases. Med., 2013; 6:267-273. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-2870.114657. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-2870.114657
- Haitao Z. The investigation on students sports tastes and their choices of events. Sports Sci., 1999; 20:63-64.
- Miyasaka KC. The incidence of knee ligament injuries in the general population. Am J Knee Surg., 1991; 4:43-48.
- Shaktawat D et al. Comparative study between bone patellar tendon bone and quadrupled hamstring autografts in arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with aperture fixation. IJRO, 2017; 3(2):13-17. https://doi.org/10.18203/issn.2455-4510.IntJResOrthop20170091. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18203/issn.2455-4510.IntJResOrthop20170091
- Jasoliya V et al. Hamstring autograft versus bone patellar tendon autograft for reconstruction of anterior cruciate ligament. International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences., 2019; 5(1):333-339. https://doi.org/10.22271/ortho.2019.v5.i1f.60. DOI: https://doi.org/10.22271/ortho.2019.v5.i1f.60
- Aglietti P, Zaccherotti G, Buzzi R, De Biase P. A comparison between patellar tendon and doubled semitendinosus/ gracilis tendon for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. A minimum five-year followup. J Sports TraumatolRel Res., 1997; 19:57-68.
- Beynnon BD, Johnson RJ, Fleming BC, Kannus P, Kaplan M, Samani J, et al. Anterior cruciate ligament replacement: Comparison of bone-patellar tendon-bone grafts with twostrand hamstring grafts. A prospective, randomized study. J Bone Joint Surg Am., 2002; 84-A:1503-1513. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-200209000-00001. PMid:12208905. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-200209000-00001
- Good L, Odensten M, Gillquist J. Sagittal knee stability after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with a patellar tendon strip. A two-year follow-up study. Am J Sports Med., 1994; 22:518-523. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659402200414. PMid:7943518. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659402200414
- Laxdal G, Sernert N, Ejerhed L, Karlsson J, Kartus JT. A prospective comparison of bone-patellar tendon-bone and hamstring tendon grafts for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in male patients. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc., 2007; 15:115-125. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-006-0165-z. PMid:16964516. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-006-0165-z
- Biau DJ, Katsahian S, Kartus J, Harilainen A, Feller JA, Sajovic M, et al. Patellar tendon versus hamstring tendon autografts for reconstructing the anterior cruciate ligament: A meta-analysis based on individual patient data. Am J Sports Med., 2009; 37:2470-2478. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546509333006. PMid:19709991. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546509333006