Background: Polymorphic Light Eruption (PLE) has been found to be associated with thyroid function abnormalities. Aim: To study and compare thyroid function tests in cases of polymorphic light eruption. Methods: The study included 35 cases of PLE and age- and sex-matched controls attending a skin outpatient department. Both cases and controls were tested for Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone (TSH). In case of abnormality in TSH, Triiodothyronine (T3) and Tetraiodothyronine (T4) levels were estimated. Results: TSH was elevated in 6 cases and 1 control. T3 and T4 were decreased in 4 cases and normal in 1 each in case and control. Hypothyroidism was seen among 6 cases and 1 control. Conclusion: Cases of PLE should be examined clinically for thyroid disorder and also tested for TSH to find any association and prevent serious consequences.
How to Cite
Chadha, C., Deshmukh, M., & Gugle, A. S. (2018). Study of Thyroid Function Tests in Cases of Polymorphic Light Eruption in Tertiary Care Institute. MVP Journal of Medical Sciences, 101–103. https://doi.org/10.18311/mvpjms.v5i1.10998
- Hawk JLM, young AR, Ferguson J. Cutaneous photobiology. Burns T, Breathnach S, Cox N, Griffiths C, editors. Rook’s Textbook of Dermatology. 8th ed. UK: Blackwell Publishing Ltd; 2010. p. 29.1– 29.24.
- Rivers JK, Norris PG, Murphy GM. UV sunbeds: Tanning, photoprotection, acute adverse effects and immunological changes. British Journal of Dermatology. 1989; 120(6):767– 77. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2133.1989.tb01374.x PMid:2757939
- Sharma L, Kumar P, Agrawal JK. Study of thyroid function and microsomal antibodies in cases of melasma. Quat J Surg Sci. 1999; 35:13–20.
- Seetharam KA, Sridevi K. Association of polymorphic light eruption and autoimmune thyroiditis. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2010; 76:704–5. https://doi.org/10.4103/0378-6323.72448%20PMid:21079321
- Hasan T, Ranki A, Jansen CT. Disease association in polymorphic light eruption. A long term follow up of 94 patients. Arch Dermatol. 1998; 134:1081–5. https://doi.org/10.1001/archderm.134.9.1081 PMid:9762018
- Lewinski A. Goiter classification and management. Review article. NEL. 2002; 23(4):351–5. PMid:12195240
- Sharma L, Lamba S, Singh SK. Thyroid function tests in case of polymorphic light eruption: A case control study. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2014 Jul-Sep; 5(3):291–5. https://doi.org/10.4103/2229-5178.137780 PMid:25165646 PMCid:PMC4144214
- Kochupillai N. Clinical endocrinology in India. Current Science. 2000; 79:1061–7.